Zaira Wasim (Age 20 Years) is an Indian film actress, who has been active in the film industry since 2016. She was born on 23rd October 2000 in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir, India.
She made her on-screen debut with the biographical sports drama film Dangal (2016). The film broke multiple records and became the highest-grossing Indian film ever. Her second film was Secret Superstar (2017), along with Aamir Khan. After that, she made her next debut in the film The Sky Is Pink (2019).
The sky is pink was her last movie as Zaira announced her disassociation from the world of glamour on 30th October 2019, saying that the career “threatened” her relationship along with her faith.
|Zaira Wasim Intro|
|Full Name||Zaira Wasim|
|Nick Name||Zai, Boo|
|Name Meaning||Zaira means "dawning" in Italian, "rose" in Arabic, "pilgrim" in Persian, and "Eastern brightness, dawn, princess" in Hindi.|
|Birth Date||23 October 2000|
|Age||20 Years (As of 2020)|
|Birthplace||Hawal, Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir, India|
|Hobbies/Interests||Listening to music, Reading, Enjoying with friends|
|School||St. Paul's International Academy, Sonwar, Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir|
Jammu's Heritage School, Jammu, Jammu & Kashmir
|Qualification||Passed 12th Class in Humanities Stream|
|Height||155cm/ 1.55m/ 5ft 1 inches|
|Hair Colour||Natural Black|
|Family & Relationships|
|Father||Zahid Wasim (Profession: Executive Manager J&K Bank)|
|Mother||Zarqa Wasim (Profession: Teacher)|
|Siblings||Zoraiz Wasim (Younger Brother)|
|Profession||Former Film Actress (2015-2019)|
|Net Worth||$1 Million (estimated as of 2019)|
|Social Media Profiles|
Note: Above information is collected from various sources available on internet.
- In 2016, Zaira’s trimmed haircut look (for her film Dangal) became the point of attraction. The pic surfaced online on the internet just like a storm. Many people trolled her with fringe elements within the Muslim community. Some even called her an un-Islamic for doing the acting.
- The same year, Zaira got death threats after being trolled for meeting Mehbooba Mufti, the last Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir. Seeing the sensitivity of the matter, Zaira apologized via her social media account. However, she later deleted her apology post.
- In January 2017, the former Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goel tweeted a photo mentioning her. However, Zaira slammed Vijay Goel’s tweet directly calling him “rude”. The tweet was later deleted by the minister.
- Back then in 2017, Zaira herself mentioned that a 41 years old person [Name: Vikas Sachdeva] molested her on a Vistara flight from Delhi to Mumbai. On the same day, police arrested the accused and after a proper investigation in December 2017, the accused was found guilty under section 354 (assault or criminal force to women with intent to outrage her modesty) of IPC, he was sentenced three years of imprisonment.
- On 30th June 2020, the actress shared a detailed Instagram post mentioning her decision of quitting the film industry. In the post, she stated that the industry damaged her “peace, Imaan and relationship with Allah”.
Zaira Wasim’s Lesser Known Facts
- She was among 1000 girls who gave the audition for the role of Geeta Phogat.
- Zaira’s parents were against the decision of working as an actress. But her school principal convinced them for letting Zaira work in the films.
- She had social anxiety and self-esteem problems since the age of 12.
- She did vigorous training for playing the role of Geeta Phogat, a wrestler, in her debut film Dangal.
- Zaira, along with Fatima Sana Shaikh, Sanya Malhotra, Suhani Bhatnagar stayed at Aamir Khan’s old apartment in Mumbai for 6 months during the shoot of the Dangal movie.
- She is of half Kashmiri and half Punjabi descent.
- She can play the guitar very well.
- Once, she said in an interview that she is very shy in nature and has a limited number of friends.
- Zaira’s loves playing with cats.
- In 2017, She was appointed as the “Youth Ambassador” for the 11th edition of the Bengaluru Midnight Marathon.
No, the actress isn’t married yet. Even she is not dating anyone.
No, Zaira is not a wrestler by profession. She just played a role of a wrestler in the biopic of Geeta Phogat named Dangal.
Zaira’s father, Zahid Wasim is a Executive manager of Jammu & Kashmir Bank by profession. And, her mother, Zarqa Wasim is a Teacher.
Zaira lives with her family in Srinagar.